Writing this blog can be an odd exercise because I generally lag one day behind my projects. I have exciting news, and several new projects created today, but first I need to write about Saturday’s projects.
After spending the morning at aikido and a toy store hunting for a birthday present, I really wanted to get creative after lunch, but Sophie and Owen wanted my undivided attention. When faced with this recurring tug-of-war, felting is my first choice.
If you can beat ‘em, join ‘em! Sophie made a treasure box while Owen mashed his favorite colors and played with the warm, soapy water.
I’ve been itching to experiment with layering silk on my pieces since seeing it used here and here. Since I didn’t have any raw silk at home, I added some snips of Fleece Artist Sea Silk yarn, made with wool and seacell, and some recycled sari silk yarn. As I laid out the bits of yarn, it started to remind me of a sea anemone. Afraid the silk wouldn’t adhere to the wool, I layered a few wisps of roving on top of the yarn, though it turns out that was an unnecessary precaution.
The second piece used bits of prefelt cut into leaf shapes layered over little bits of black and brown roving.
These pieces both feel unfinished, but I’m not sure whether to cut and sew them into boxes, or just embellish them further to create wall art.
Part way through the second piece I started to think about my costume for the auction, which was themed “All Aboard”. Lance came home from a shopping foray to Goodwill empty handed. A helpful employee suggested he go as a commercial fisherman since they generally wear jeans and a t-shirt out on the boat. I wanted to wear my new FlipSide hat, which looks a little like a sailor hat, so I decided I would be a sailor overboard with some seaweed wrapped around my neck.
I love the way the recycled sari silk blended with the roving, and the way different colors stand out along the lariat. Today I worked on some ambitious embellishments for the lariat; this piece will be emerging from the sea in the next few days.