Works in Progress

One of the things I love seeing on other knitting blogs is just what people have sitting around the house in various baskets and corners.

socks_magicloop.jpg

First, is a pair of toe-up socks using the magic loop method. The yarn is Bearfoot by Mountain Colors in “Larkspur”, 65% superwash wool, 25% mohair, 15% nylon. The mohair makes the yarn very soft and fuzzy, but I’m having a hard time with unintentionally splitting the strands. The dark colorway is also difficult to knit in less than ideal lighting situations. I started these socks on US 1 40″ Addi Turbo circular needles, using the Turkish Cast-on tutorial at Misocrafty and then floundered a little because I was unsure how to increase to my ultimate width; I settled on a simple kf&b on either end, which is pretty invisible considering the dark color of the yarn. After three false starts and a decision to move down a needle size, I’ve become really good at the Turkish Cast-on. Now, if I can only get started. Lance has been very patient as I’ve completed three other projects since casting on these socks right after Christmas. Madrona may be my opportunity to get some mileage under my belt; then again, iffy lighting may dictate completion of UFO#2:

irish_hikingscarf.jpg

My knitting buddy, Melissa Walpole, bought Sophie three skeins of pink yarn for Christmas because she knows Sophie loves pink and I generally bend over backwards to make sure no pink enters our house. What Melissa doesn’t realize is that I love Noro yarn, and will forgive any color choice if it is Noro. Besides, this particular colorway has so many beautiful colors spun with the pink that I couldn’t resist knitting it up immediately. Melissa was a little suprised that I didn’t let Sophie knit it (I believe that was her intention), but I swear this was Sophie’s idea. She picked out the pattern with me after I spent two sleepless nights dreaming of how to show off three skeins of Noro to its best advantage on a six-year old. Sophie is very fickle with her clothing, but she has inherited a love of scarves. Since she takes the bus home from school several days a week, a long thick scarf such as this is very practical for keeping her hood tucked around her ears.

rogue.jpg

My last project, and the project least likely to become a complete garment: Rogue with cardigan modifications. My dear mother-in-law, Michele, bought this lovely Fisherman Yarn by Bartlett Yarns at a craft fair in Dublin, NH. A bit prickly on first feel, the swatch softened beautifully; the yarn is slightly tweedy with bits of white and red popping out. Larissa, a regular knitter at the Fiber Gallery brought in a gorgeous finished Rogue, which I had admired from afar on several occasions. She convinced me that the pattern was no more complicated than anything I had executed so far. What she doesn’t realize is that I have a hard time getting started on large projects that require attention to a pattern, and the ability to knit for long stretches of time. So there it sits, in a lovely basket next to my chair, collecting black hair from Zeke the Dog.

 All in all, three unfinished projects really isn’t too bad. You need at least that many projects going so you can forget one at a friend’s house, and have something engaging to pick up on the rare evening that you are home alone, plus some car knitting…

Clapotis is officially kaput. I frogged it yesterday after getting about twenty rows into it. There just wasn’t enough to engage me, no offense intended to all of the lovely clapotis knitters. Besides, the sea silk just wasn’t a robust enough yarn to create anything of substance with this pattern. I’m considering a Cat Bordhi moebius shawl, or something else gauzy, but for now it will stay in my basket until inspiration strikes.

I almost forgot. I have another doozy of a project that doesn’t fall into the knitting category, but is still an unfinished project looming over my head; actually, there are two related projects waiting for “the right moment”: a pair of duvet covers for Sophie and Owen’s bed.

tiedyequilt.jpg

The front of Owen’s cover has been pieced together with an assortment of tie-dyed squares; it the largest bundle on the bottom of the pile closest to the wall. I haven’t figured out how I want to piece together the front, as there aren’t enough tie-dye pieces for another complete side, and Sophie wants a few pieces for her duvet cover. All of my pieces are trimmed, measured, folded and inventoried, just waiting in our dining room for that right moment. Sophie told me today that she can’t wait until we have time to plan out the arrangement for her duvet cover. My hope is that the delayed gratification will increase the love she has for the completed piece.

Advertisements

Flickr Photos

Categories


%d bloggers like this: