Inspired by Applehead‘s 100 Crochet Flower Scarf, I decided to learn to crochet a couple of months ago. Since I was so new to the form, I really couldn’t make sense of the instructions for her flower, so decided to explore all of the variations I could find.
My explorations led me to two conclusions:
1. no other flower will do
2. Crochet with wool is far too sticky; a cotton/silk blend is much easier
3. The first and last petal always look wonky because I can’t connect it up at the end
None of the shapes I found online, or invented really pleased me; they were either too large, or too complex. I want something small using a dk weight yarn so I can string them together to make a sweet scarf.
This left me no choice but to return to Marianne’s pattern and work at it until my flower looked like hers.
Fifteen flowers later, I think they look pretty close, but I will not have enough yarn to make one hundred flowers.