My camera was out for repairs, so I haven’t been able to document the latest batch of scarves as they dried. This gave me some distance from each piece and allowed me to look at the series as an evolving process. Figuring out how to make the multi-petaled ruffled flowers was fun, so I decided to see if I could apply some of the same ideas to scarves.
I started with a pure felt scarf made with merino roving. It is hard to detect in these bright photos, but the roving is composed of several shades of white, grey, brown and navy with a definite orientation. The base of the scarf is laid out vertically, while the ruffles are laid out horizontally. I love the effect, though this piece is quite heavy since I wanted to make sure there were no gaps in the felt.
Wanting something more fluid, I worked with a piece of irridescent silk next, bunching it up in the middle to create a center ruffle. There wasn’t nearly enough extra fabric to create a real ruffle, but it was still a neat effect.
By the third piece, I knew I had to use a lot more silk and really bunch it up to get full ruffle effect. Unfortunately, it didn’t adhere in all of the right places so some of it is a bit pouchier than the rest. But this was an experiment, so I was both thrilled and excited with the results.
The fourth variation was an attempt to use some pieces of recycled silk hacked out of a friend’s dress; the pieces were asymetrical and not uniform in length. I wanted to create horizontal pleats, which worked in part of the scarf. Some of it is great, but as a whole piece it doesn’t work.
I don’t know how many people blog about their failures, but it seems important for me in this case. These four scarves were a real challenge because I have a hard time accepting process and the idea that we need to work through an idea to get versions we like. Time seems to be in such short supply that I don’t allow myself the freedom to experiment with something that might not work out. I did all sorts of things other than getting started because I was afraid. Now I’m excited to try them all over again, to make them better and continue with variations that occurred to me as I was working.